Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Will Gen Yers Change the Ways of Work?

In the Harvard Business Review article "Millennials Won't Change Work; Work Will Change Millennials", I agree with McAfee that Generation Yers will have to adapt to work more so than the other way around. Of course, new faces to the work world bring new ideas and technology, but overall the workers are going to have to change to adapt to the work world. Most companies are not going to change the way they do busines to accommodate new workers with little experience in the business world. I do think companies will have to adapt in some ways to attract Gen Yers to their company, such as benefits that focus on work life balance and training and development programs. Since I graduated college, I have had to adapt to work life and the ways of the business world. My new 8-5 world has not adapted to me. I actually feel like I am becoming more like my parents everyday. Gen Yers will probably be more efficient at doing their jobs through technology and will help increase productivity in businesses, but they will still have to adhere to the "higher ups" on many business norms such as dress codes, protocol, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment