Thursday, July 29, 2010

Why Did We Ever Go Into HR?

http://hbr.org/2008/07/why-did-we-ever-go-into-hr/ar/1

I went into HR because my first two jobs out of college were at small companies who did not understand how to retain their employees. Both companies felt that high turnover was just the nature of business and they were only concerned about making money. Investing money to retain and develop their employees was never considered. They did not have talented, strategic HR staff to show them investing in their employees would actually increase their profits. I want to help companies understand that if they invest in their employees, their employees will invest in them.

Similar to Matthew and Daisys encounter of fellow Harvard grads thinking they went into HR because its easy, I once went on a date with an Engineer who asked me what my job was and then responded with Oh so you like administrative work. Needless to say, our first date was also our last. I agree with the authors of the article that HR is becoming a strategic partner to guide management on how to attract, retain and develop talent. There are 3 Sr. HR Generalists (also referred to as HR Business Partners) at my 700 employee company and they are very busy with management coaching , conducting 360 assessments for the executive team, employee engagement surveys, evaluating exit survey data to share with management, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment